By: Debbie Stevenson
Greens are possibly the most important food you can eat!
As a Certified Health Coach, I work with hundreds of people on wellness and the importance of eating whole foods. Drinking a green smoothie is one of the easiest ways to fill your body with all the incredible benefits that come with eating greens.
HERE ARE 4 REASONS EVERYONE SHOULD BE DRINKING GREEN SMOOTHIES:
- Supercharge Your Body – Blending your greens helps your body absorb all the nutrients from the vegetables by making them readily bioavailable and easily digestible. And you also avoid the risk of damaging any of their sensitive micronutrients through cooking. Cooking and processing food destroys many micronutrients by altering their shape and chemical composition.
- Keep Your Digestive Track Moving – Greens are loaded with fiber to keep things moving along in your digestive track. This will help you achieve your 25mg-50mg of daily fiber.
- Variety Is The Spice Of Life – Blending allows you to add a wider variety of vegetables you might not normally enjoy eat whole. This way, when you rotate the food you eat, it will lessen your chances of developing food allergies.
- Greens Provide Something Nothing Else Can – I’m talking about chlorophyll. Chlorophyll has a cleansing effect on your body, strengthens your immune system and decreases inflammation, increases red blood cell production, and helps enhance your cells’ ability to carry oxygen. What contains chlorophyll? Virtually all greens. If it is green, it will have it (edible or not).
I love Green Smoothies because they are easy to put together. Don’t stress about amounts and measuring. Here are the basics of what I put in my smoothies and you can add on from here:
- 1 cup of fruit: strawberries, blackberries, avocado, mango, blueberries, etc.
- 1-2 Tablespoons of nuts or seeds: flax seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- 2-3 cups of greens: kale, spinach, collard greens, etc.
- 1 cup of liquid: coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc.
My Green Smoothie Recipe
Just add these ingredients into your blender in this order:
- Add 2-3 large handfuls (about 2-3 cups) of baby spinach to the blender.
- Add about a cup total of blackberries, mango, and avocado next for extra antioxidants, texture and flavor.
- Add a tablespoon or two of chia seeds for even more nutrition and a little bit of good fat.
- Add 1/2 – 1 cup unsweetened almond milk to help the blender work it’s magic and turn your smoothie into a drinkable texture. Add more purified water as needed to blend.
- Add a tablespoon of organic raw honey (keep it raw to keep the enzymes and nutrients in tact)
Blend away and enjoy!
Happy Greens Day!
DEBBIE STEVENSON - Nutrition
Debbie Stevenson is a leading nutrition and whole living expert teaching women around the world not just how to live well, but how to become the absolute best version of themselves. As a certified health coach, blogger and successful entrepreneur, cultivating the ideal lifestyle isn't her passion; it's her life. Find her free recipes, wellness tips and online nutrition programs at Debbie Stevenson and join her on Facebook for daily healthy living inspirations.
Protect your body from the affects of aging...the natural way! Download Debbie's FREE anti-aging Ebook "Grow Older, Feel Younger, Look Younger" to learn how!