Losing weight can seem like an uphill battle that gets you nowhere. Fad diets come and go and by the end you don’t feel better and the weight comes right back on. Diets are only half the battle and exercising can seem like a challenge with how many exercise videos, tutorials, and gyms there are pushing you to work harder. Losing weight the right way can take some time to see the results you want but are easier to maintain and won’t make you pull your hair out. These five ways to help you lose weight and be healthier are simple, effective and relatively painless!
- Eat Good Foods Often and Cut the Bad Ones Out This seems like an obvious one but we have a tendency to love to eat food no matter where it’s from or what it is. Some diets have you eating less food and consuming less calories which seems like the obvious thing to do but trust me, it is worse! With food there are good and bad calories, carbs, sugars and fats and our bodies need a balance to be healthy. For example, the sugars in a Ding Dong are not the same as the sugars in bananas and the high calories in a bag of potato chips are not the same as the high calories in avocados. In fact, even though avocados have a high amount of calories, they are one of the world’s super foods and can help improve your health! Eating good protein filled food helps alleviate your hunger and helps rebuild muscles from a work out. Snack often on nuts, fruits, granola and veggies. This will lower your metabolism and help your body process fat more efficiently rather than store the fat on your belly, hips and thighs!
- Go for a Walk Walking burns a surprising amount of calories especially if that walk is up a slight hill. The hill does not have to be Mount Everest trust me, even a slight increase of gradient works muscles up to your abs and gets your blood flowing. 30 minutes of walking every day is enough to start seeing an impact on your health. If you don’t have accessible sidewalks try going to a park, doing lawn work, walk on your lunch break at work, take the stairs, and even walk around the mall! This is a low impact way to exercise and can be a great social outing.
- Drink Plenty of Water Water makes up almost 60% of the body and it is very important to keep our hydration up and maintain this level. Dehydration is not only dangerous but causes hunger. Some hunger pains we feel are most likely because we haven’t had enough water during the day. By drinking water throughout the day you naturally feel fuller and have less of a desire to eat just to eat. Being hydrated before a work out can also help you work harder than you normally do as it keeps you awake and alert.
- Cut Your Portion Size Portion sizes at restaurants are made for 2-3 meals. Its mind blowing how much they give you and usually for a great price! Most of these portions can easily be shared with someone or taken home for another meal later. Not only is splitting your meals a good way to shrink your stomach and increase your metabolism, but it is an economic advancement! A good way to see the progress you’ve made is to start putting away the money you saved from splitting a meal. If a dinner plate costs $20 and you take home half, put $10 in a jar. That money can then be used for a fabulous vacation.
- Tone Up while Tuning In Gym memberships can be expensive and may seem to be a chore to leave the house for so start turning what you do at home into a light workout! TV is a great way to regulate your workout. During the commercial breaks do high intensity exercises like crunches, jumping jacks, or lunges across the living room (no one likes commercials anyway). During a show, lift some weights or use a stationary bike, elliptical or running machine to work out and watch. Before you know it you did 30 plus minutes of exercise. And lastly, do some squats while brushing your teeth. Those two minutes will make you feel incredible!
Following these simple and effective steps are a great way to start losing weight and to maintain a healthy lifestyle for many years to come.