By: Lauren Ashley Smith
Let’s get real: magazines, blogs and ads are constantly telling us what items we “must have.” Maybe it’s just me, but often those lists and recommendations don’t exactly fit with real life: not real life budgets, not real lifestyle and certainly not real life needs. Now, however, you have a real live woman (and not an ad revenue-generating robot) here to tell you what fashion and beauty items you absolutely must have on your holiday list, and if you don’t get them, well, they’re affordable enough for you to grab for yourself!
- Ear jackets – As far as jewelry is concerned, ear jackets are the new It Thing. You wear them just like a regular earring, but they cover more territory and they’re a great way to say, “I’m edgy, but not edgy enough to get four extra holes punched in my ear.” Everyone wins.
- Sephora’s Instant Nail Polish Remover – While it’s hard to imagine finding anything remarkable about nail polish remover, imagine this: you’ve got a good four coats of lacquer on your nails and you don’t have ten minutes, five cotton balls and a wealth of elbow grease to devote to removing it. That’s where Sephora’s truly instant (and truly magical) nail polish remover comes in. The effects of this product simply cannot be overstated. All it takes is a lazy dip of each finger into the cylindrical bottle’s center to take off even the most stubborn, glittery and thick polish you have. If you get anything on this list, make it this.
- Mixed media clothes – Stay with me here. I know the term “mixed media clothing” can seem intimidating. Frankly, it’s obnoxious; what does “mixed media” even mean, anyway? “Mixed media” is basically an elevated term for any clothing item that combines multiple textures or materials; think leather and cotton, lace and silk, studs and wool. One of my favorite mixed media items of the moment is this sweatshirt with leather paneling.
- Flo & Theo’s Vegan Skin Care Products – Try to forget that I just told you to purchase a sweatshirt covered in leather. Right now, we’ve moved on to the best soaps, scrubs, and lotions that you’ll ever find; and they’re all 100% natural and vegan. The brand is the brainchild of two sisters from Nigeria, and I’m a huge fan of their Wild Mint Bar soap. It smells amazing and leaves your skin feeling super soft, but not greasy.
- Plaid shirts – Plaid is not just for lumberjacks and the Brawny man anymore. Anyone from a young professional to a cool mom to a college student to a hipster can make this trend their own. Zara makes it affordable with this shirt that will carry you through the rest of fall and winter.
- Graphic Hats – Believe it or not, hats with words written on them have officially come back around and are once more considered “in style” for people who are not Ashton Kutcher. To name just one example, the recently released Alexander Wang for H&M collection features quite a few beanies with words written on them; although, whether you want to wear a hat that says “WANG” front and center is something you’ll need to decide for yourself.
So there you have it—six items that make all of our daily and fashion lives just a little bit more exciting. Happy shopping!
For more Fashion finds, click here.
Tiffany and Co. Diamond Studs
Diamonds really are a girl's best friend. They are also perfect earrings when you want to keep your look simple. In fact, I rarely take mine out! Diamond studs are such a pretty classic that you can wear everyday. And since they are ideal for everyday wear, splurge and go for a timeless brand like Tiffany’s.
Daniel Wellington Classic Sheffield Watch
Everybody needs a classic watch that will stand the test of time (literally!). That's why I love Daniel Wellington. The watches are effortlessly sophisticated and this one has an understated dial and interchangeable leather band, making it perfect for any outfit.
By Susan "Honey" Good
I love a reason to dress up and dine with friends and family, don't you? And so, this weekend, I know that so many of you will be treated like the 'Queen Bee,' as well you should be, darlings. Or, if you are as lucky as I am, you may even be taking your own Mother out to brunch this Mother's Day. Whatever you do, darlings, I hope it is fabulous, full of love, and of course, fashionable. Here are a few Mother's Day dress ideas for ladies who brunch...
By Team Stylists
“If they could see me now that little gang of mine” With a SPRING in my step and looking oh so fine. What are the STANDOUT TRENDS that would catch their eye? What would look best and what shall I BUY?
By Susan "Honey" Go
Our handbags are an expensive necessity, my darlings! As I admire my bags lined up on my shelf they seem to be a little community of diversity! Some are flamboyant. Some have a dash of playfulness.
I'd like to think I live a colorful life, darlings. And, when it comes to fashion, I'm certainly no shrinking violet. You know how I feel about being visible at our age, right?
With all that said, there's just something so chic about a black and white ensemble. And while I would say that I typically wear colorful combinations, a well-styled black and white outfit, paired with a pop of color if one so desires, is simply timeless.
Fashion Trends and Technology for the 50+ Woman
By Susan "Honey" Good
Today's style story is really an education about trends and technology, darlings.
Recently, I talked about aging exquisitely; if you missed the story read it here. Aging exquisitely has absolutely nothing to do with how we look as we age, and everything to do with the importance of feeding vitality through new experiences, new people, and embracing new opportunities.
Instagram is a social network, like Facebook. Without going into far too boring detail, the way that one uses Instagram is by downloading an app to your mobile phone. I am on it, darlings and I love it! Instagram is a social network driven largely by images… an instant gratification kind of place to keep in touch with friends, loved ones and trends. It is very fashion and lifestyle driven! It's also great place to keep in touch with your children and especially the Grands. Ask them, darlings, and I bet your Grands will say to you, "Yes, of course I have an Instagram account!"
By Susan "Honey" Good
Last week's story about shorts (here) raised an interesting question in the Honey Good community, "How short is too short?"
Not just for shorts but skirts also. There's some buzz that after 50, a woman should lower her hemlines. So, darlings, I have to ask for your opinions on this subject. But first, I've gone to great "lengths" to do some research on the "too short" matter and here's what I discovered...
First of all, there's no one expert on style which is, of course, what makes fashion both fun and frightening, at times. But, there are plenty of people willing to voice their opinions on how short your skirt or shorts should be.
By: Honey Good
Thankfully, the Holidays are full of parties and gathering with family and friends. And while cheering and sharing with loved ones is easy, deciding what to wear to everything from charity galas to informal get togethers with girlfriends can have its challenges.
Have no fear. darlings, Here's my foolproof guide to surviving the holidays in style...
By Honey Good
I've been around long enough to see oh-so-many trends come and go. And what I've learned about trends is this: love them, enjoy them but never become a slave to them.
Now some women our age say they eschew trends all together. What fun is that, darlings? I love to stay up to date on the latest styles but I only wear what suits me. I wear my clothes and never vice versa. No trend will earn a spot in my closet unless it stirs my soul and speaks to my sense of style.
By: Team Stylists
Once upon a time when we were retail associates in a hi-fashion boutique. We dressed for work like women did when going to Bat Mitzvahs. Imagine the looks we got when stopping off at Gelson’s or Starbucks!