After several years of marriage, it’s easy for the flames of romance to die down. Add the constant hustle and bustle of raising children, running errands, working and participating in extracurricular activities, and matters usually only get worse. Fortunately, you can reignite the spark in your marriage and spice things up in the bedroom, and these tips can help:
- Order Chocolates. This is a traditional but romantic gift idea. Your significant other will be elated you took time out of your busy schedule to send a romantic treat—and, hopefully, will want to thank you for your gift in a "special" way. Simply order a sweet treat and feed it to him or her in an intimate setting. That should set the mood.
- Buy Lingerie. Another traditional but sensual tip: Buy your partner some lovely underthings. Give her a negligee in her favorite color, or for your special guy, grab a pair of silk boxers. Present this gift with a bottle of wine or champagne.
- Get Flowers (With a Twist). When your spouse arrives home from work, have a beautiful floral arrangement waiting for him or her—and a romantic hand-written letter that describes your ideal romantic encounter. You can also include what you love most about her body, or the simple things she does to turn you on. This suggestion works just as well for a guy, too—it may be he's never even received flowers and would love it. Just don’t send the letter with the flowers to the workplace, in case it ends up in the wrong hands.
- Schedule a Couple’s Massage. A couples massage is a a romantic way to get the knots out. Just make sure your calendar is clear after the appointment and the mood at home is set to romance for when you return. A bottle of champagne, rose petals, bubbles for a warm bath and candles should do the trick. Your special guy will be relaxed and more than willing to partake in the fun.
- Go on a Staycation. Although it's a bit pricier than your standard gift, staycations are a great way to escape from your busy life, unwind and have some fun together—including trying a few new tricks that will leave your spouse anxious for future encounters.
- Play Truth or Dare. Buy popsicle sticks from a craft store and write a dare on one side and a "truth" request on the other. Settle down in front of a fire and start playing.
- Put Together a Romance Box. Include a gift certificate for your favorite restaurant, a bottle of your partner's signature scent (or try a new one), a romantic DVD and some lingerie to complete the package. Present it to your spouse, but include a note explaining your request for a date night. You could also add an itinerary so your significant other knows exactly what to wear and what to expect from your planned romantic night. Anticipation can heighten the evening's fun.