By Brynne Ramella. Springtime will be here in less than a week! With the warmer weather just around the corner, we'll all be looking for any reason to spend time outside. And what better reason to spend time outside than bringing the spirit of the beach to your home? This springtime craft will make a great addition to your garden!
- Gather your materials. Here's what you'll need:
- A low and wide pot or bowl, about 14 inches in diameter
- Three small, slow-growing plants in 4-inch nursery pots
- 1 qt of horticultural-grade washed sand
- Small pieces of driftwood and other beach-themed objects
- Fill the large pot. Open up your soil and pour it into the pot. Only fill it half way, since you will need room for sand, plants and your beach objects.
- Find your perfect arrangement. With your small plants still in their pots, arrange them in the larger pot on top of the soil.
- Set up your plants. Once you are happy with the arrangement of your small plants, take them out of their pots. Firmly plant each of your small plants in the soil. Add a little more soil to the pot, so that it reaches within an inch or two of the rim. Tamp the soil to firm it, and add water to moisten it.
- Add the sand. Carefully pour sand on top of the soil so that it reaches the top of the pot's rim. Once the sand is added, place your driftwood and other beachy items to your little garden. If you do not live near a beach, check out your local craft store for other beach treasures.
- Find the perfect place for your beach garden. Your beach garden will thrive in an area that gets plenty of sun. Water it once a week using a gentle stream from a hose or a watering can.
Be sure to share pictures of your completed beach gardens!