By Kirsten Nunez. Whether you're a novice crafter or a DIY veteran, nothing's better than a sweet and simple project to satisfy that creative itch. This tutorial features a kitchen accessory that's not only functional, but extremely inexpensive to make. It's also super easy to customize, making it a great gift idea for a housewarming party or a friend who loves to cook!
- Sheet of Cork (at least 10" x 10")
- Masking Tape
- Sharp Scissors
- Hot Glue Gun
- Foam Brush
- Acrylic Paint
1) Using the ruler and marker, measure a 10" x 10" square.
2) Cut out.
3) From one corner, mark 2" in both directions.
4) Draw a diagonal line connecting the two marks.
5) Cut along the diagonal line.
8) Repeat at each of the remaining corners. The end result will be an octagon.
9) Place the cork on top of the felt.
10) Adhere to the felt with hot glue.
11) Cut away the excess felt surrounding the cork.
12) Add strips of masking tape across the cork.
13) Using the foam brush, apply acrylic paint to the exposed cork. For best results, paint in the same direction as the tape (horizontally).
14) Repeat until the entire cork is painted.
15) Once dry, peel away the tape.
You're all ready to use your new kitchen accessory! To make an entire set, switch up the placement of the masking tape for each version. Or, you can paint one of the stripes a contrasting color for a look that will pop. The possibilities are endless with this project; feel free to switch it up in order to create something that will fit right into your kitchen's style.