By Sue Pitchforth. Christmas decorating is complete, presents are wrapped and now to put the final touches on your holiday celebrations. Here are some easy, last minute ideas that will make your holiday special:
Tablescaping Setting your table in a unique and interesting way is a fun way to set the mood. Here are a few ideas as to how:
- Place two or three runners across your table over the tablecloth instead of lengthwise.
- Use burlap as a tablecloth or runner, along with greenery, pine cones and berries to bring the beauty of nature into your home.
- Layering your plates, even mixing solid and pattern together adds interest.
- Make individual place cards – perhaps a pine cone with the place card – is easy to do.
- Add a unique touch by placing your table centerpiece on a long plank or on a collection of mirrors.
- Hang something from the back of each chair. Take a ribbon, tie it around the chair, add a small wreath or a mix of greenery and baubles. For children, purchase a stocking at the dollar store, put some goodies inside and add their name. They will know where they are sitting and they also get a special something for after dinner.
- Be creative, be unique and most of all have fun dressing your table for the holidays!
Entertaining There are all types of fun ways to decorate for a dinner party. Here are a few ideas to think about:
- Appetizers and desserts. Find some festive Chinese ceramic spoons, martini glasses, small miniature mugs, mini plates and rectangular platters lined up on a wooden plank, piece of marble or ceramic tile. Pier 1 has a great selection.
- Exterior Ice Lanterns. Bring something uniquely different to your home’s exterior - here’s how. Ice lanterns are beautiful when they line a pathway, driveway, are placed in the backyard, on the deck or patio. You can either place a real candle inside or a battery operated candle placed in a small plastic container.
- Ice bowls. Ice bowls are a creative way to display shrimp, dips or appetizers that need to be kept cold. Add cranberries and cedar for extra interest. People are amazed at how easy they are to make and how festive they look.
- Faux ice bowls. If you want the look of ice, but not the worry of it melting, purchase some fresh cranberries and some clear cellophane from your local dollar store. Cut off a piece of the cellophane, wrinkle it up and place it into the glass vase, add cranberries and the cellophane will capture the berries in different areas then add water. It really does appear to be ice in a vase with cranberries. Now how simple was that? And very cost effective! You can purchase the glass vases, bowls and cellophane from the dollar store.
I hope these last minute ideas give you some inspiration to try something new this Christmas. Merry Christmas for my home to yours!