By Honey Good. One of my favorite happenings takes place at night. It is dining out with my husband, Shelly, at one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago, my hometown! Beginning January 30th you will be able to dine at incredible restaurants at discounted prices across the city because it is the start of Chicago Restaurant Week.
Check out all of the participating restaurants here and make your reservations sooner than later, as most places fill up quickly! Enjoy what I know will be a delicious journey into the restaurant world of one of the greatest foodie cities in the world…Chicago.
Dining out with Shelly is almost a nightly affair and we love it. Many evenings we are joined by family and friends but my favorite evenings out are with just my husband. I love everything about dining out: getting dressed for the evening, choosing the restaurant, making the reservation, the activity once inside from the maître d’s and waiters greeting us by name (yes, we are regulars at a few places), to recognizing friends and ordering one of my favorite meals. I love the conversation that takes place over my glass of San Pellegrino with lime (no ice) or an occasional a glass of Prosecco. My friend shared a tip with me – add a touch of peach liquor to the Prosecco. It’s delicious. I am a firm believer in listening because if we listen we are always learning.
So let me take you on a learning experience and share some of my recommended Chicago Restaurant Week restaurants with you.
- Morton’s Steakhouse. (Steak) Located on North State Street. The best prime steak you will ever devour! The deserts are a surprise. The waiters have served at Morton’s for many years and so has their manager, Rocky. Great service and great dining!
- Gibson’s Steakhouse. (Steak) Located on Rush Street. This restaurant gives me a “rush” every time I go through their revolving doors. Gibson’s is our home away from home. I can not boast enough about the food, atmosphere and service.
- Allium Restaurant in the Four Season’s Hotel. (Continental) Located on Delaware in the Gold Coast. The atmosphere with wood burning fireplace is priceless. Dress is casual. Food is not. A wonderful dining affair for lunch with the girls, a business meeting or dinner in front of the fireplace with someone you love. They are known for their homemade on-site hotdogs, their flank steak and salmon are divine and they serve each table with red bottles of spring water!
- Gene and Georgetti. (Italian) Located on Franklin Street and was founded in 1941! It is jam -packed every night of the week. My husband knew Gene and the crew so we can call at the last minute and our table is waiting. How lucky is that!? We order the Veal Chop (one order is enough for two, trust me) or Chicken Joe (one order is enough for two or three) and their famous cole slaw salad. Ask for the Shelly Good doctored up version. (Orfius, our waiter knows!)
- Joe's Sea Food Restaurant. (Seafood) A national restaurant chain and considered the best of the best. It is located on North Dearborn in the city.
I have so enjoyed writing this post. Hopefully, you will enjoy my suggestions and enjoy your culinary adventures during Chicago Restaurant Week!
Pizano’s Pizza. (Italian) Located on State Street. It opened in 1991 and is packed nightly. We are there most Sunday evenings for delicious pizza. The restaurant’s atmosphere is to my liking. Red checked tablecloths, candles, large screen televisions with sporting events going on continuously and people of all ages in Levi’s!
The Shanghai Terrace Restaurant. (Romance and Peking Duck). Located in the Peninsula Hotel on East Superior Street. Dine outside on the terrace (open all year) or inside in the lovely dining room. It is quiet with a view of my beautiful Chicago. The food is the best of any Asian restaurant. The Asian Duck, along with red rice is my choice. Everything is “the best of the best” at the Shanghai!