By Jacquelyn Prater. Having people over for dinner is one of my favorite things to do. This week our good friend Rachel surprised us with a visit, and I was more than happy to share our meal with her! Tonight we had my version of 40 Clove Chicken, a warm and garlicky dish that feels very fall. I served the chicken with mashed potatoes and braised Brussel sprouts. Delicious!
- 2 tbsp. of oil
- 1 entire chicken, cut up
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped (about 2 tbsp)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil on medium high in a large pan (I used my trusty cast iron) and add the chicken, skin side down.
- Brown the chicken for about 4-5 minutes and then set the bird aside.
- Add the whole garlic to the pan and brown the garlic, about 1-2 minutes.
- Drop the temperature to medium-low and add the chicken broth.
- Scrape up all the good brown stuff on the bottom of the pan and let the chicken broth simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the cream and parsley and stir all together.
- Once the liquid begins to bubble, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken back in the pan, skin side up, and let it finish cooking on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the garlic sauce over mashed potatoes -- personal recommendation!