It’s funny how the most delicious recipes can come together by accident. I read about this chef online who spilled loose grated cheese into the pan when making a grilled cheese sandwich. The result came out so tasty, I think he revolutionized the humble grilled cheese! I tried making this the other day and just had to share it with you. Basically, all you have to do is make a standard grilled cheese, but when the sandwich is in the pan you also throw some grated cheese onto the outside of the sandwich. When it cooks and caramelizes, it creates an irresistible crust. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
- Butter for outside of bread and to coat pan
- 2 slices of bread (I prefer thick-sliced italian bread)
- About 6 oz of grated cheese (I like extra sharp cheddar)
- Heat a buttered pan over medium heat. Butter each slice of bread on one side.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, butter side down. Throw half of the grated cheese on the top, then place the other slice of bread on stop, butter side up.
- Turn heat down a bit and cook until golden brown.
- Once brown, flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese in the pan, and place the sandwich on top of it. Cook until the cheese has caramelized and browned.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on a different space in the pan, and repeat the cheese caramelizing on the other side of the sandwich. Once it’s brown and crispy, time to eat!