By Jacquelyn Prater. Happy New Year! Everyone is making resolutions and committing to re-inventing themselves this week, and I'm over here like, "What are we eating?" Here is a brunch breakfast casserole that is fancy enough to serve to company, but simple enough to not drive you crazy. You can even prepare all the ingredients the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning!
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 8oz shredded cheese (use your favorite, I like cheddar)
- 8oz smoked sausage, sliced into half moons
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 red bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. of dry mustard
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
- Boil the diced potatoes until just al dente. Cool and set aside.
- Mix eggs and milk together, add mustard and thyme.
- Spray a 9" glass or cast iron baking dish with non-stick spray. Sprinkle the potatoes, bell peppers, sausage and cheese in the dish.
- Pour in the egg mixture, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with green onions.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, rotating the dish halfway through cooking.
- Remove from oven and let casserole cool slightly before slicing into squares.
If you decide to do the prep work the night before, slice and dice all necessary ingredients. Boil the diced potatoes and cool completely before refrigerating. Assemble and bake the casserole the morning of!