I’ve said it many times and I’ll keep repeating – Quinoa is by far my new favorite ingredient. Yes I know it’s quite the “fad” grain but it’s tasty and amazing for you. It absorbs any flavor and remains a healthy addition to any meal while feeling filling (say that 3 times fast)! With my rant behind us, this recipe adds cheese and broccoli to the mixture which is a classic combination on its own. I call it “vegetable” because if you don’t have broccoli on hand, any veggie will complete this dish. I also enjoy this as either a side dish or a few on top of a salad.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 5 large broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 large egg
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Olive oil for cooking
- Cook the quinoa by adding ½ cup quinoa to one cup of water, bring the pot to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Once the quinoa has absorbed all the water, put it on a plate and let it cool completely.
- While the quinoa is cooking, sauté your diced onion until it's soft and translucent.
- Set aside and let cool completely.
- Cook your broccoli until it has softened a little bit, then let it cool as well. Once the broccoli has cooled completely, dice it into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together, leaving the egg until the end.
- Mix well so you have a smooth, wet mixture that will allow you to make cakes that will stick together.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, and make your cakes.
- Roll a ball out of the mixture, and squash it down for a perfect circle.
- Cook each cake for about 7 - 8 minutes on each side on medium heat. You want the cake to develop a crust, but not to burn, so watch them carefully.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes before eating.