By Jacquelyn Prater. The weather is beginning to warm up! The snow is melting, the sun feels warm, and I'm ready for spring. But as soon as I pull a sundress out of my closet, we get hit with one more chilly day. Here's a recipe to warm you up again - a family favorite with a little twist!
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of half and half or heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tbsp of thyme
- 1 tbsp. sage
- salt and pepper
- 2 cup of italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- Note: If peas and corn are frozen, thaw before using in recipe
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package and set aside. Mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan together and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or pot, melt the butter over medium high heat and add the vegetables.
- Cook the veggies for about 5 minutes or until the carrots have begun to soften.
- Sprinkle the veggies with the flour so they are all coated (if you need more, add it, but no more than 1/2 cup total).
- Cook the floured vegetables for 2 minutes, then add the chicken stock and the milk. Stir the combine.
- As the mixture cooks, it will begin to thicken up. Add the thyme and sage. Taste to check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the chicken and the noodles to the pot and mix everything together.
- If the mix seems thin (or you just want to be decadent like me) add the heavy cream.
- Pour mixture into a greased glass baking dish.Sprinkle the top with the breadcrumb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.