Sometimes the morning can feel like a whirlwind before rushing out the door for work and instead of eating breakfast I’ll grab something terrible for me from a street vendor or corner store. I needed to start getting healthier so I found this recipe for homemade oatmeal bars that I can make at the end of the week and grab a slice before heading out the door. They are packed full of energy and protein and great for anyone on the go or for a mid-day snack.
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup pecans
- ¾ cup old-fashions rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease 11x7 inch baking pan.
- Pour melted butter into a mixing bowl, and beat in the egg, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice together in a separate mixing bowl.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Mix in the cranberries, pecans, and oats until evenly blended.
- Press mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is dry and edges slightly pull away from the sides of the pan, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.