The sun is starting to shine which means BBQ’s and cookouts, but what about those rainy days where you still want to have some good ol’ southern BBQ? Not to fear! Grab your slow cooker and make this delicious Carolina style BBQ pulled pork which is sure to brighten your day.
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 2 t salt
- ½ t ground black pepper
- 1 (4-6 lb) pork butt or shoulder roast
- 1 T liquid smoke
- 1 c cider vinegar
- ⅓ c Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 t sugar
- ½ t dry mustard
- ½ t granulated garlic
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- Place onions in crock pot.
- Blend brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast.
- Place roast in crock pot. Drizzle liquid smoke over roast.
- Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic and cayenne pepper and stir to mix well.
- Drizzle about ⅓ of mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture.
- Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat and onions, discard onions and shred meat. Add juices from crock pot and remaining vinegar mixture (a portion may be reserved to pass).
- Serve plain or as sandwiches.