I love a good sweet and salty combination. Sweet potatoes are commonly devoured during the chilly months, but why should they be saved for the holidays? Sometimes I feel like breakfast foods taste like desserts - all sugar and no substance. This easy and savory sweet potato hash browns recipe gives you a hint of sugar with a very filling starch. Try this recipe at your next brunch and enjoy!
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1/2 of an onion, preferrably yellow
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Peel and grate the sweet potatoes on the large side of a grate. Do the same with the onion. Mix them together with the garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron pan or skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the potato mixture evenly and brown on one side for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the sugar on the uncooked side and mix the way you would scrambled eggs.
- Cook the potatoes for another 3-4 minutes until cooked through and serve!