Growing up, I was never allowed to leave the house without eating breakfast. My mom was a real stickler for making sure I started off my day with a nutritious meal and thankfully, this habit has stuck with me. I cannot emphasize how important breakfast is for your health. For starters, breakfast refuels your body, giving you the energy to get you through whatever your day has in store. It also enhances your mood, improves concentration and contrary to popular belief, it helps you maintain a healthy weight.
So to get you started, here's my favorite smoothie recipe. Just prepare the night before and grab-and-go in the morning!
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 peeled and frozen banana
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 handful of destemmed kale
- 1 tsp of nut butter (almond, cashew or peanut)
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- Optional: 1 serving of vanilla protein powder -- I’m a big fan of Vega One Nutritional Shake
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a sealed cup and store in the refrigerator overnight.