By Jacquelyn Prater. Tonight I'm going to make something super simple, but totally tasty: grilled flank steak with red onions and bell peppers. I will be using my cast iron grill pan - the one with the ridges. Grill pans are great because they allow you to get those pretty grill marks and charred bits even when it's cold outside. I'm serving this with a homemade chimmichurri sauce. The sauce is also simple, and this meal comes together in as little as 15 minutes!
- 1lb of Flank steak
- Half a red onion, sliced
- Half a bell pepper, sliced
- Half a bunch of parsley
- A quarter of a bunch of cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- Salt & red pepper flakes
- About half a cup of olive oil
- Heat up your grill pan with a tablespoon of vegetable oil on medium high heat.
- Let the pan get good and hot before you add the meat, about 1-2 minutes.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Don't touch the meat for (depending on how thick your piece is) two minutes.
- The pan is making all those delicious grill marks and you want to let it. After about 2 minutes, flip the steak. I like my steak medium rare, so I will let it cool for another minute or so - 4 to 5 minutes tops.
- Take the meat out and let it rest for a minute while you grill the onions and bell peppers.
- I like these to still have some crunch, so I cook them just long enough for them to get a couple grill marks as well, 2 minutes.
- Slice the meat, top with the chimichurri and serve with the veggies. Done!
- For the chimichurri sauce, put the parsley, cilantro, garlic and vinegar in a food processor and pulse until it resembles a green paste.
- Slowly add the olive oil until the sauce thins out, so it has the consistency of pesto.
- Add a few more drops of oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over the grilled steak and enjoy!