By Victoria Fortnum. Everyone has their vice, mine’s chocolate. I could not tell you the last time two days went by without having at least one piece of something chocolaty. However, despite its bad reputation, chocolate has some serious health benefits. The key is, just not to overdo it.
The Unspoken Benefits of Chocolate
- It’s heart healthy! Dark chocolate has many inflammation-fighting properties, which reduce cardiovascular risk.
- Dark chocolate has been linked to weight loss. Researchers from the University of Copenhagen found dark chocolate is more filling than milk and white chocolate, and lessens cravings for sweet, salty and fatty foods.
- Cacao is one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium and is a rich in antioxidants.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse is one of my all time favorite sweet treats. It will fix any chocolate craving, impress your dinner guests and is easy on your waistline.
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and quartered
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder (or regular cocoa powder)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup agave nectar (depending on how sweet you like things)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of almond or soy milk
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender and blend until very smooth.
- Pour mousse into serving dishes and allow to chill for an hour before serving.
- Top with fresh fruit, shredded coconut, mint, dark chocolate chips, nuts or whatever your heart desires.