This is my favorite Potato Latkes Recipe. It is easy to make and delicious. I promise!
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled. (Put the peeled potatoes into ice water immediately so they stay white. Potatoes brown quickly.)
- 1 large white onion
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Peel and grate potatoes and onions with a large-holed grater.
- Place potatoes and onions in strainer and squeeze out liquid. A cheese cloth is best to place the mixture in. Squeeze as though you were ringing out a washcloth.
- Place the potato and onion mixture in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, lightly whisked, salt and corn starch.
- Combine and mix all the ingredients.
- In a large skillet, pour in ¼ inch of canola oil and warm.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into the desired size and carefully lay the small flat pancake latke mixture in the hot oil. Do not overcrowd.
- Once the edges start to brown, flip the latkes over. When they are golden brown, remove.
- Lay them on a sheet pan screen to let the oil drip out instead of paper towel.
- Serve as hot as possible with a drop of sour cream and applesauce on top of latke or with sour cream and caviar.