By Victoria Fortnum. Pesto has always been one of my favorite additions to spruce up a meal. When I eliminated dairy from my diet, I immediately started experimenting with a variety of recipes to create the ultimate vegan pesto. Not only is this recipe delicious, but it's a healthy alternative to traditional pesto blends.
The basil and spinach combine wonderfully with the richness of the nutty-flavored oil-based elements to make this a delicious sauce to use with anything. I love to use it as a dip, pizza sauce or, my favorite, over zucchini noodles, which I make with a Paderno Spiralizer.
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh basil
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3/4 cup of sunflower seeds, soaked
- Soak sunflower seeds for at least two hours in water (no more than 12).
- Place everything, except sunflower seeds, in high power blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add sunflower seeds to the blender or food processor and pulse, leaving some texture.