When you become a parent, both you and your spouse focus on bringing up your child. Days turn into weeks, turn into months, turn into years. (If this was a movie cut to pages of a calendar whizzing by.) All of a sudden your little baby is going to college or moving out or just is all grown up. Then it seems, out of nowhere they are on their own and all of a sudden you're left with just the two of you. Fingers still crossed, you still like each other. Now, after all these years, you can turn to your partner and go “What were we talking about?” Reconnecting with your spouse is not that hard, you just have to put in the work. Here are a few reminders:
- Engage with each other. Put down your phone, iPad or whatever gadget you have. It’s so easy to just go into your digital world after a hard day of parenting but hey, news alert, your kid is an adult now, so TALK to your significant other!
- Go on a real date. Now that the kid has his own life you can use your money to actually go to a nice place to eat and NOT Chuck E. Cheese. Unless you like the food there and well then I feel for you.
- Spice up your love life. It’s just the two of you now so run around naked, have some afternoon delight or if you’re like most parents at this point take a good long nap.
- Wine. Wine helps everything!
- Vacation. If you have any money left from raising children, go away from where you brought them up. With so many deals on the internet, it’s easy to find something for the weekend pretty cheap. There you can relax and finish up that long lost discussion you were having!