By: The Honey Good Editorial Team
My darlings, are you ready for the long weekend? I, for one, cannot wait to play hostess with the mostest. I am nothing if not a complete holiday enthusiast when it comes to theme parties. As you know, Memorial Day is the official start to Summer. Like everything in life, when I decorate for our Memorial Day BBQ, my philosophy is "go big or go home!"
P/S I never leave home without my famous deviled eggs. I know a good thing when I taste it!
Today, I want to share some simple decor solutions to make your Memorial Day party festive and fun. Many of these items you have at home and simply need to repurpose with a little bit of twine and a lot of creativity.
The goal? Chic decorating on a simple budget to "wow" your guests! My favorite places to grab accent pieces happen to be HomeGoods, Pier1 and Michaels. Every year, I add another element to my collection making planning for the following year easier and easier!
Let's start with the basics!
- Mason jars: You can purchase these for $1.15 at any major craft store. They make great vases as well as drinking glasses. The beautiful thing about this inexpensive find is that you can dress them in a variety of different ways and repurpose them for every holiday. All it takes is a few spools of ribbon or twine and some colored fabric to wrap around the circumference of the jar and voila!
- Fresh flowers: I'll state the obvious...fresh flowers make any space more inviting. For Memorial Day, I grab the most inexpensive flower, the carnation, and create short, full bouquets in red, white and blue...perfect for the above mason jars.
- Parade flags: Adorn every place setting with this 50 cent option and tie a pretty ribbon around the base as a charming leave behind for your guests.
- Printed lanterns: I simply adore this decor idea. You can buy 12 for under $6.00 here. Hang them in your garden or your terrace for the perfect backdrop to your group photos or party #selfies. Yes, I know what a #selfie is!
- Festive bunting: I like to string our balcony with festive bunting. It's such a simple touch but creates a maximum impact. It's the equivalent to stringing your home in holiday lights but a lot easier to put up! Just buy double sided tape and you're good to go!
- Colorful tablecloths: Guests will spill and my little darlings sure do love their popsicles. I don't sweat the small stuff. Instead, I buy patriotic table-covers that I can simply toss once the festivities end. Shelly and I loathe the clean up portion of any event...this makes it easy peasy!
- Balloons: When in doubt, helium it out! Buy red, white and blue clusters for a song and place them around your home. It's hard to resist the joy that balloons bring to both young and old.
I hope I've inspired you to get festive this weekend. No matter what, we must thank our troops for the freedom that we have each and every day!
For more Entertaining tips, click here!