With Halloween come and gone, the holiday season is rapidly approaching. This means an excess of parties and decadent meals. Instead of cowering in fear over the temptation of endless desserts and cocktails, make a game plan outlining how you will stay healthy during the holidays.
- Don't try to lose weight. That's just going to be impossible. Instead, focus on maintaining your current weight.
- Snack before a party. Nibble on something healthy, like fruits or vegetables, before you head to a holiday party. This will make you less likely to overindulge later on.
- Check out the buffet. If you are at a party, check out the food selection before you partake. This will give you time to plan out some healthy choices.
- Control your portions. It's fine to indulge every once in a while. Just don't overdo it. If you want to check out some of the desserts, just take a little bit. Make sure to eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed.
- Take your mind off of food. Try to plan some holiday gatherings that do not revolve around eating. Make holiday wreaths or wrap presents together.
- Exercise. Sure, this one is obvious. But with more eating this time of the year, you should try to squeeze in a little more exercise.
- Make healthy versions of holiday favorites. Try Googling some ways to make your favorite meals healthier. For example, remove the skin from your Thanksgiving turkey. Refrigerate your gravy to harden the fat, then scrape that fat right off.
While it is important to stay healthy over the holiday season, don't obsess over it! Make sure your focus is on spending time with family, friends and remembering the meaning behind the holidays.