By Honey Good. With the New Year, right around the corner, I think it behooves all of us to try and stop “sweating the small stuff.” I realize how easy it is to get overwhelmed, so my first words of advice are: try and keep things in perspective. I have trained myself to take some very deep breaths when I feel myself losing control. It works.
Admittedly, I lead a stressful life because of my many involvements. I am happy to say that most of my stress, and I believe yours, is not brought on by unhappiness but by an overload of activities. We tend to spread ourselves too thin.
Below are my very simple ways to reduce my stress level. I suggest you look them over and maybe incorporate a few in your life. They are relaxing and healthy activities that can give you just the revitalization you need.
- Listen to relaxing music. I play music in our home and in my car. I have several French discs in my car. The French language sound is so beautiful and immediately puts me in a stress free mood.
- Sketch or color with your children or grandchildren. Loved ones are surefire stress-busters.
- Take a long bath. Add some fragrant bath salts or essential oils and play music.
- Garden. I find there is nothing more soothing then nature.
- Spend time with your pet. My dog, Orchid, immediately puts me in a “good” place.
- Read. A great escape. Stops you from thinking about yourself.
- Help a friend or a person in need. We all know when we give of ourselves we feel good as do those we help.
- Cook. Foods delight the senses.
- Write in a journal. Put your thoughts on paper. I did that and this site was born!
- Take a daily power walk or a daily walk. Fresh air and exercise will help you de-stress.
- Focus on your breathing. Become aware of your breathing. It acts as a natural stress buster.
My favorite activities on my list:
- Walking and breathing
- My dog, Orchid
If you have any tips you’d like to share, please do so below in the comments section!