By: Debbie Stevenson
There's no denying the powerful health benefits of drinking water each day. Still, I love mixing things up and pouring a glass of these top 5 healthy alternatives to water!
Since our bodies are made of up to 80% water, it’s critical that we get enough during the day to function properly! Water transports nutrients around and waste out, lubricates joints, and helps regulate temperature. Water is a great foundation, but these top 5 drinks combine hydration with added health benefits!
- Lemon Water - drinking a glass of warm water with fresh lemon 30 minutes before breakfast aids digestion and supports natural detoxification by helping the bowel to flush out waste more efficiently. It also provides a gentle immune system boost with vitamin C and helps to freshen your breath by acting as a natural antiseptic killing off bad bacteria in the mouth. Good-bye chemical-laden mouthwash!
- Herbal Tea - drinking herbs and spices in tea not only helps to cut down on caffeine, it boosts your nutrient intake! There are so many amazing herbs with all kinds of health benefits including antibacterial, antiviral, immune-strengthening, energy-boosting or calming properties. Many are rich sources of antioxidants fighting free radical damage in the body too! Each herb has unique health benefits but my favorites are peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, chamomile, and ginger for settling the tummy. I also use peppermint for energy & memory, lavender & chamomile to calm, and spearmint, turmeric and eucalyptus to ward off cold and flu symptoms. It’s health in a teacup!
- Kombucha - A fermented tea beverage rich in probiotics. Consuming a delicious glass of kombucha each day comes with a plethora of benefits! The natural healthy bacteria in kombucha helps to aid digestion, fight candida overgrowth, manage bloating, and due to the gut-brain link, even improve mental clarity and help stabilize your mood! Add in turmeric or ginger for even more gut soothing, anti-inflammatory benefits!
- Coconut Water - Coconut water is nature’s natural rehydration drink. It’s an isotonic beverage providing the electrolytes calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and potassium. Pure coconut water has no artificial additives or sweeteners and is low in naturally occurring sugars. It also contains a variety of vitamins and minerals including zinc, selenium, iodine, sulfur, manganese, boron, molybdenum, ascorbic acid and B-group vitamins! Perfect post-workout, or for rehydrating anytime of day! And last but not least, the cytokinins have significant anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic (anti-clot formation) effects. Wow, why not try it? Coconut milk is obtained from the coconut meat, not be confused with coconut water.
- Green Smoothie - Blending your greens is one of the quickest ways your body can absorb all the nutrients from vegetables by making them readily bio-available and easily digestible. It is rich in phytonutrients that nourish your body, naturally energize, support detoxification and cleanse your body. It all comes down to what you put in the blend! Click HERE to get my Green Smoothie Recipe.
You really can eat and drink your way to good health and natural beauty. Yet many of us, women in particular, spend billions each year on cosmetics, beauty products, and surgery while our diets and lifestyles are often neglected.
Cheers to natural true beauty!
For more Healthy Living Tips, click here.